Case Study: Mozingo Music (Brand Strategy)
Learn how Mozingo Music created a unique sub-brand, “M2ST: Mozingo Music Street Team” to create brand awareness, relevance, and experience among a younger target audience.
This case study provides insight into:
- The objectives behind the strategy
- How the strategy was developed
- Execution, measurability, and reporting
Case Study Overview
Mozingo Music wanted to connect with younger musicians as the relevant choice for instruments, repairs, and lessons. Musicians who stay active musically are potential customers for life, and often have children who play an instrument as well. Strategic Glue developed a unique, turnkey “Street Team” program comprising brand strategy and technology innovation.
About Mozingo Music
Founded in 1972, Mozingo Music is the oldest independent music equipment retailer in the St. Louis metropolitan area, and one of the few independent music companies remaining. With three retail locations and a growing online business, Mozingo Music has successfully traversed the difficult landscape of sustaining a multi-generation family business in an industry characterized by intense consolidation and competition.
“Reaching customers is never easy, but reaching our younger demographic is particularly challenging. Our goal was to create brand relevance amongst this group, and our programs with Strategic Glue certainly achieved that.”
Reaching a variety of different musician personas within a younger demographic (12-24) is challenging given the heavy use of mobile, social media, and various types of content. Industry consolidation and the dominance of large national chains with significant online presence provided additional challenges.
Strategic Glue developed an alternative brand program, “M2ST”: Mozingo Music Street Team. Members signed-up and promoted M2ST, while earning points for a variety of tasks, referrals, social mentions, and surveys, which could be redeemed for products, services, and gifts. The M2ST web portal was custom-developed as a fast track project utilizing Strategic Glue’s Elastick Rewards platform.
A variety of metrics were collected and reported on with the following positive outcomes:
1. Actionable Brand Awareness included hundreds of young musicians signing-up for the “Street Team,” sporting “M2ST” bracelets, and spreading Word of Mouth messages.
2. Brand Engagement included strategic events like an M2ST Battle of the Bands, and sponsorship at Pointfest, an annual, radio-sponsored alternative music event in St. Louis, Missouri.
3. Brand Relevance at a time of considerable industry consolidation; resonating with a younger audience during a crucial time in the company’s 45-year history.
4. Increased Traffic at the “M2ST” website, corporate website, and two retail locations in St. Louis, Missouri.
For more information on Mozingo Music, please visit: mozingomusic.com
“I have worked with Terry Sullivan and Strategic Glue on and off for more than 20 years. Strategic thinking, great ideas, and tireless work ethic – highly recommended.”
Registrant sign-ups within two months of launch
A Few of Our Clients
We have formed some great relationships since 2009. You can read what others have said by clicking here.
Get In Touch with Us
PO Box 123
St. Louis, MO 63040